Linked List // June 10 2016
Sorry I missed last week. I was in Ethiopia focused on other things. Hopefully you can find some good stories here to make up for it.
- Here is a helpful review of Eric Metaxas’s new book, A Republic If You Can Keep It. Unfortunately it seems he’s wandering further into the revisionist history space inhabited by others. This isn’t actually all that shocking to me as his Bonhoeffer book was found to repeatedly misrepresent Bonhoeffer by actual scholars. Buyer beware I guess.
- Think Theology on On Babies and Bethelwater. I think it’s a thoughtful article.
- The opening of Shanghai Disney didn’t go quite as planned.
- I attended a conference not too long ago and many people complained about Microsofts borderline malicious update program. It seems like its only getting worse now..
- Instagram changed their pic feed. Now it shows you what it thinks you want to see rather than a chronological look of everything. One FB friend commented that she only sees other FB friends now and is bummed about that.
- This John Oliver Tonight episode on the debt industry is really fascinating. Even better is how he chooses to explore it: creating a company, buying $15 million worth of medical debt and then forgiving it.
- This is a fascinating read about working for a company that makes the browser toolbars that everyone hates. Most surprising is how well they hid what they did from so many people.
- Day One is exploring end to end encryption. Encryption is a good thing; I’m interested to follow and see how it turns out.
High productivity doesn’t mean squat if the things you’re getting done aren’t truly important. It’s far better to get a few top things done, and done well, than to crush a mile-deep todo list of trivial bullshit.
From Getting Less Done